Monday, August 31, 2009

Balancing act

Aaahhh the start of the 2nd week of school. Well at least for us here in our part of the U.S. I'm sure a lot of you, today or even this week will be the start of school. Last week was sort of a dress rehearsal for us. The girls didn't have homework, well not much at least. We "practiced" getting ready the night before so the next day we weren't looking for things needed at the last moment. I find myself feeling like I cant get things right. I guess I expect to much of myself and I don't delegate tasks to my husband as much as I need to. I also find myself dealing with the 'slowness' of a pre-teen already.

As much as I feel like things should run smoothly, Bekah seems to take her sweet time. Its almost like having two 6 yr olds at the same time. Time is of no importance to her, or at least that's what it looks like to me. We are running around like crazies in the morning, and she walks around like time will just stand still for her. Drives me insane, I tell you. Then when we are all leaving, she is frantic looking for last minute items. *sigh* Is this the dreaded teen years at work. Is this what I'm looking to for the next 6 yrs, or until she leaves the house bound for college? Shes a good kid...just a little to lax for me LOL..drives her dad insane too! Then again, Marty is very lax as well, I guess they had to get something from him huh, I wasn't the immaculate conception here.

Well, things seem to go smoothly...shes waking up much earlier than she did last year. That's good cause she takes A LONG TIME to get ready in the morning. Some pointers for those of you who are just starting out this week.

1.) if possible have kids shower the night before. 3 of the 4 girls shower the night before. My Jesy has to shower in the morning cause she has crazy curly hair that needs to be tamed when wet!

2.) pull out clothing to be worn the next day, the night before. Making sure the kids have their shirts, pants/shorts/skirts, socks and yes even undies. I don't know how many times last year my girls would yell out in the morning "MOM I DON'T HAVE UNDERWEAR!!!" Later to find cleans ones in my room in my cabinets...how'd that get there?

3.) find ALL LOST SHOES!!! I hate looking for shoes when we should be all packing up in the truck. My girls are notorious for loosing their shoes. One is in the bathroom while the matching shoe is under the kitchen table?! No we don't have dogs...so its got to be the ghost moving the shoes around..right?

4.) make sure all school supplies, notebooks, crayons, books, HOMEWORK...is signed, checked and put away for the next day. I now ask my girls if they have any work that needs to be signed.

5.) make sure kids sleep early. Oh boy, my girls are having a hard time transitioning from summer to school days. They fall asleep late and have a hard time waking up early. So try to do this at least a week or a few days before school starts.

I hope y'all have a great new school year.

No comments: