Thursday, October 15, 2009

{My hands are tied} A mothers nightmare.

The moment women find out we are carrying a child, we do what we can to make sure that child grows healthy. We take our vitamins, we eat right, do what the doctor tells us we need to do. We form a bond with that life within us from the start. When they come out to face the world, we continue to make sure they are healthy. Feed them right, take them to all well baby check ups and so forth.




A mother always wants to make sure their child is happy and healthy. We run to the doc at the lightest sniffle. We stay up late nights when they have high temperatures. It is our job, it is our duty, but what happens when you can't just give them a medicine to make it go away.




It is a very helpless feeling, seeing your child being whisked away. I had to go through that with Erykah. It is a very helpless and frightening feeling. Tests were done and well now she has to have medication. We know her asthma triggers we know what can harm her, it was almost easy to figure it out.




But what do you do when you give your child medicine that SHOULD help alleviate the pain but it doesn't? Rebekah started with migraines last year...believe it or not I remember the day she started with them. It was Aug 11th 2008. She started with a very high fever, chills and body aches. She had really bad vomiting to the point she had to go to the ER cause the anti-vomit meds the doc gave here were not working. The doc said she was dehydrated and we just chalked it up to that. Marty and I know if you get badly dehydrated you can end up with headaches, fever and muscle pain. So we made sure she was well hydrated. 2 weeks past and AGAIN, she had the migraines. Except this time there was no fever, no muscle aches and only some nauseousness. Then they went away. One doc said it was stomach headaches? Whatever that is. I came to find out that stomach headaches are only when they throw up so much it causes headaches. The problem with that was that Rebekah wasn't throwing up. So last year was a very stressful year for me. I'm worrying about Rebekah and Marty didn't help. He was saying she was making it up. I for one know my girls. Rebekah HATES missing school. She wasn't her perky self anymore. Her face looked almost ghoulish and depressing. I just didn't know what to do anymore.




Now fast forward to this past Monday the 13th of Oct. She had been doing fine that weekend. We had a baptism on Sat. went to church on Sunday, everything was cool. Monday was a holiday for the kids so they had a long weekend. However that night, her school football team was playing so she had to cheer. Things were going well. She was yelling, cheering, dancing, and tossing her fliers up in the air.




This is her before her migraine:






















See she is happy, she was perky. I mean we were having fun. It was a very eventful football game. Her team started out really bad, but they came around and started to win. So this is her just before her head started to hurt.



Then just about 10 minutes after this was taken, she was doing a cheer with all of her team. She looked so pretty and her pompoms in hand. All of a sudden she looks down, her smile comes off and she is frowning. I told Marty "Somethings wrong" He said "What do you mean?" I said "Rebekah isn't looking good, she looks like shes feeling sick" He looked at her and he said "Go check whats wrong" I did, I went down and she looked at me and she said "Mom, I'm gonna get a migraine" So since Monday night she has been in pain. Tuesday was the worst day. Our house looked like a cave, all dark and quiet. Wednesday was a little better, but she still had pain here and there. There was one point where she went to her room and curled up to cry. Those are the times where I feel like I want to jump out of my skin because I cant help her. I cant make her pain go away. She is taking adult strength Advil and STILL the pains comes through.

It is much more hard to deal with a child's migraines than with your child having asthma. I know the triggers for Erykah. They are usually the same for every asthma sufferer across the board. Migraines are another beast of its own kind! Every migraine sufferer has their own triggers and we still don't know what Rebekah's are. It had been SO LONG since her last migraine. She had an entire summer of cheering, camps, tumbling all without incident. She started out the school year wonderful. We let down our guard and when we did, they attacked her again.

So I'm here blogging about it. I am going to encourage her to write about it herself. Maybe get her to blog about her life. She has gone to a peds. neurologist. He said shes an over achiever. She is a straight A student and she loves cheer. She loves playing her guitar and her drums. She loves to sing and is a great artist. She does so much, but now I'm wondering if maybe she is doing to much. I would thing her playing guitar and drawing, painting and crafting would be a stress releaser, but maybe its more of a stressor.

If you have a child of migraines, how do you help your child cope. What are your child's triggers. I don't know what to do anymore. Last night she came to my room and she said she wanted me to cuddle with her like when she was a baby. She was feeling bad. So I did and she fell asleep in my arms like she did when she was a baby, except she is now 12.

So this is our journey right now. Helping Rebekah lead a normal teen life. Trying to help her cope with an enemy that can strike at any moment. That way she can lead a happy & full life as an adult, a wife and a mother later in life.

Priscilla

No comments: