Tuesday, November 17, 2009

New Guidelines...Good or Bad?

Did you hear about the new Breast Cancer Mammography recommended Guidelines?

Suggested start to get your FIRST mammography is now 50...not 40 like before.
Giving yourself self breast exams at home is now a BIG NO NO!

Ok well I have a bone to pick. Honestly...50? I mean I know of women who have had breast cancer at 20!!! One girl I heard she was 16 YEARS OLD!!! I mean seriously. I know they checked out over 60,000 women in all ages, all ways of diagnosis, but still.

I heard, on the Today show, that women under 50 have dense breasts. Dense breasts are hard to read...they are a lot of work. LAZIES!!! Get off your fat asses and do something else. It is also recommended that women with dense breasts get an MRI. Just because you don't want to do the work, does not mean you put a woman's life at risk. So they are supposed to wait till they are 50 IF THEY EVEN GET TO BE 50 because your to lazy to read 'DENSE BREAST MAMOGRAPHIES!?'

As for the self breast exams...there are rules to that. Check yourself AFTER your period...not before. I check myself 2 days after mine. Why? Well because when your ovulating, hormones cause our breast to do funny things. I know my breasts (TMI HERE) feel the same way the felt when I was breastfeeding my girls. The feeling of my milk coming down. That tingle sensations...yeah...thats what I feel. I have found some lumps on my breasts but they are the ducts. Its the Hormones...so now I wait till AFTER my period and yes I did read this, and hear it, that is its best to do this right after you are done with your menstruation.

They said self checking causes a lot of anxiety, a lot of "undue" stress. However, I like to be better safe than sorry. Heck, check your armpits too. They are also part of your breast area...don't you know? I one time found a lump in my armpit...I was freaking out. I went to my OBGYN...I told him about it...it was a blocked sweat gland. YES I did feel a little embarrassed but you know what, not so much. Id rather sound like a neurotic hypochondriac than later on finding out that it was something I needed to take seriously. By the way just so you know...I am a semi-hypochondriac...LOL

either way...there is a lot of controversy over the new guidelines and rightfully so. So many women have saved their own lives by checking themselves. DONT STOP LADIES...CONTINUE YOUR SELF CHECK EXAMS...DEMAN MAMOGRAMS!!! Esp if you have a history of CANCER in your family! Even women with no history of breast cancer in their family have been surprised by this enemy...young vibrant women in their 20's, 30's and 40's. Their lives have been saved because of mammograms and self check exams. So don't buy the hype. Continue to do what your doing. We need to look out for ourselves. No one looks out for a woman, only we can take that step to make sure we are here for our future...our children and our grandchildren. We need to be our own boss and make our docs listen to us. Because even though we nag...we are usually right...hardly ever EVER wrong.

No comments: